Every year approximately 2 million visitors, from around Australia and all over the world descend on far north Queensland for an anticipated holiday of a lifetime. The Great Barrier Reef alone is said to contribute over $5 billion every year to the Queensland economy.
James Cook University is internationally recognised for its leadership in tourism teaching and research. An independent ranking of tourism institutions conducted by the University of Calgary in Canada recently ranked JCU first in the world, based on the calibre of its academic staff.
Research staff and students work very closely with, and have projects funded by, reef and rainforest research agencies such as Marine and Tropical Sciences Research Facility (MTSRF), Wet Tropics Management Authority (WTMA) and the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority (GBRMPA). JCU is also a partner in the Cooperative Research Centre for Sustainable Tourism.
The University also works closely with local tourism operators, providing data and research to enhance their operations. At the same time, this research and data on visitor numbers can inform reef and rainforest management decisions.
JCU’s in-depth research and data allows the industry to plan ahead. One recent project involved students from sixty universities in twenty countries as JCU researchers look to see if a new generation of tourists will base their holiday plans on the affects and impacts of climate change.
Crisis management is also important; JCU advises governments and the tourism industry on how to look at lessons learnt from global pandemics, airline strikes and international terrorism.
- Bachelor of Business (Hospitality and Tourism Management)
- Bachelor of Business (Sports and Events Management)
- Master of Business Administration (International Tourism) - Semester 1 applications
- Master of International Tourism and Hospitality Management - Semester 1 applications
- Master of International Tourism and Hospitality Management-MBA - Semester 1 applications
- Master of International Tourism and Hospitality Management-MBA - Semester 2 applications